Hold Mail service – Terms and Conditions*
Read the terms and conditions which include the service delivery limitations and legal statements prior to purchasing the Hold Mail service.
Service Delivery Limitations
- Proof of identity: Appropriate identification is collected to prevent identity theft and other improper use of this service, as well as to permit follow-up investigation if required for law enforcement and other legal purposes. Canada Post is subject to the Privacy Act and takes appropriate steps to protect your personal information.
The minimum residential rate is based on a 10-weekday period, while the business rate is based on a 5-weekday period (weekdays include statutory holidays). However, Hold Mail can be purchased for a shorter period. When holding mail addressed to individuals, the residential rate applies. The business rate applies when a business name is included. Up to four names are included in the base fee. Visit your post office or canadapost.ca/hold for information on current rates.
- Mail recipients: Residential requests can include a maximum of eight individual names. Business requests can include a maximum of two business names and six individual names. Additional names beyond the first four can be added for a fee. Applicable proof of authority to act on behalf of another may be required. Everyone: This option can only be used if no resident at the address needs to receive mail during the hold mail period. Canada Post reserves the right to change the service option to “Only specified people” or cancel the service should mail delivery be impeded for other mail recipients at the address.
- Changes and cancellation:You can extend, modify2 or cancel the service, at any time during its duration:
- at canadapost.ca/signin (when you provide an email address at time of purchase)
- at a post office by presenting the original receipt, appropriate identification (e.g., government-issued photo ID) and if applicable, proof of authorization. No refunds are provided once the service has started. On the next business day following the expiry or cancellation date, Canada Post will deliver the mail held for your address. Canada Post reserves the right to not hold mail and to end the service at anytime.
- Mail pickup during Hold Mail period: During the Hold Mail period, mail pickup is not available at any Canada Post location. To resume mail delivery to your address before the Hold Mail service expires, you must cancel the service.
- No liability: Canada Post and its agents (including but not limited to authorized dealers) will not be responsible for any direct, indirect, general, special or consequential damages arising out of or in any way connected to this agreement, regardless of whether such damages are based on contract or tort.
- Privacy: Canada Post may provide your personal information to third party identification services, including telecommunications providers, in order to confirm your identity and protect you from fraud and identity theft, and you provide consent for such third-party services to verify your personal information with records they may have about you. Visit canadapost.ca/privacy for more information on personal information protection. To discontinue Hold Mail related communications,visit canadapost.ca/holdmail-optout.
* Canada Post reserves the right to change the Terms and Conditions of the service at any time.
† The address cannot be changed after the service has started.